Thursday, June 21, 2012

#ravelympics

If you are on ravelry, then you know probably what the ravelympics are. It's basically this. During the Olympics, you watch athletes push themselves to do their best. And you push yourself to do your best in knitting/crocheting. You do something you never did before. You are cheered on by thousands of people also doing the best they can to make something amazing. To create something that you can look at years from then and say that you were in the ravelympics and made that! You learned from that project, you grew as a fiber artist, and because of joining all these other people who cheered with you, consoled you when you crossed your cables wrong, you are the knitter/crocheter you are now. It's more then a sense of community, it was friends helping each other out and having so much fun doing it.
The us olympic committee believes that you "denigrate" the olympics. you can read more about that here, but this is what pisses me off.
"We believe using the name "Ravelympics" for a competition that involves an afghan marathon, scarf hockey and sweater triathlon, among others, tends to denigrate the true nature of the Olympic Games. In a sense, it is disrespectful to our country's finest athletes and fails to recognize or appreciate their hard work"
BITE ME. I've been trying to think of a better response, something that sounds more eloquent, but really, that's all I can do. I knit this for the last games



I had barely done any fair isle, and I was going to knit this HUGE fair isle bag. I did it, while watching the Olympics, caring about them for the first time EVER. It was fun. I was, and am, very proud of myself. In no way did I "denigrate" the Olympics. Not a single person in the ravelympics did. To say something that harsh and insulting to people who carry pointy sticks? BAD IDEA.
i was going to join the ravelympics again this year, and I was going to gather up all my old ufo's and finish them. But now? Now I'm going to watch buffy and angel instead of mens swimming. I will be boycotting the Olympics this year. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment