Saturday, August 20, 2011

This is what a Feminist knits like

Have you read this? If not, go read it. I'll wait..... Done? good.
I started writing this on Facebook, but I want to post this here instead.
Because I knit my own clothes, spin yarn for those clothes, make all my own food from scratch, read whatever I want, go to school for "girly" things if I so choose, wear make up and pretty clothes, paint my nails, I'm not a feminist? I do these things because I want to do them. Because, NEWSFLASH, thats what feminism is.
You know what feminism isn't? Telling women how to live their lives. Like this so called "writer" is doing. We now have the CHOICE, as women, to do what we want with out lives. Demeaning what I do? Demeaning what thousands, millions of women do? Is a bad idea. I carry sharp pointy sticks. We all do. We will stab a bitch.
Let's talk about her little jab at Miss Jane Austen. you know why her books are so loved? Because they are wonderful. Simple as that. These books hark back to a slower time, without cell phones, without the constant babble of technology. Some weekends, I'll have a Jane austen movie fest and knit or spin. and BAKE. this does not make me less of a feminist. Also, Mr.Darcy.
The more I think about this article and read it, the more pissed off I get. This "writer" claims that Jezebel is a great feminist blog. Sometimes, yes. But other times? It's very anti-women. Yet she wrote that the Yarn harlot is anti-fem, when, if this women would have read any of her posts, she is not. The yarn harlot is a great example of a strong feminist.
This "writer" is wrong. All those comments (read the comments this one time, pure win) and every single one is against what she is saying.
I knit, I spin. I crochet. I sew. I quilt. I read. I bake. I can also shoot a gun, swear, fix things, tell dirty jokes, and do whatever the hell I want to do. Because I'm a feminist.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I said similar - but more wordy - on my blog.

    Also, to the original essayist: "Feminism. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What aspects of the word "choice" does that silly writer not understand?

    sheesh.

    ReplyDelete